Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2012

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

          I've been sick for the last few days so I haven't been able to do much besides my homework, which isn't fun, and read and I really wanted to go to my friend's party and I've also been texting my friends. But since I've been sick I took this entire day reading City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare because I haven't read it until now because I don't know about you guys but I'd rather check out books at the library instead of spending the money I don't have. Since there are many, many people who apparently think like me, there is always a long waiting list for a newly, released book. Last week I finally got the book but I never got a chance to start it until today. I woke up this morning knowing I needed a book to review for my blog so I decided to go with City of Lost Souls and I'm glad I did make it the center of my first book review because like everyone I have thoughts and opinions over the book.
       First of all City of Lost Souls basically starts off after the events of City of Fallen Angels have transpired. No one has any idea where Jace could be and everyone is obviously worried that not only is Jace missing but Sebastian is as well. I'm not really allowed to give a full summary so that's as far as I'm going to go, if you really want a full summary go to Goodreads, Barnes and Noble, or Amazon like I do. 
       I definitely liked City of Lost Souls a lot more than City of Fallen Angels. I thought the last book was okay but it just didn't draw me in like the first three books of the series did, it didn't completely catch my attention. I'm usually a pretty fast reader who can get a five hundred page book done in two to three days even with school in session. But City of Fallen Angels took me like two weeks to get done, which isn't normal for me. Meanwhile I was able to get City of Lost Souls done in less then twenty-four hours which honestly shocked me. 
       What really captured my attention about this book I guess was how everyone was in a race against time basically. Every character had a purpose, everyone was up to something and I liked how Cassandra Clare not only gave us the P.O.V's from Clary and Jace but also from Simon, who I have become a huge fan of since City of Fallen Angels, Isabelle, Alec, Maia, Jordan, Magnus, even from Jocelyn and Maryse. I really enjoyed reading about how everyone was doing something with a common goal in mind, saving Jace. 
      As always I enjoyed the descriptions and I enjoyed some of the conversations between the characters, entertaining as always. A conversation that really stood out for me was when Isabelle was telling Jordan that she doesn't give "false reassurances", for some reason that really stood out for me. 
       One part that really annoyed me was a comment made by Clary on page 97: "Whatever was happening between her brother and her mother, it was something that had nothing to do with her." I don't really know how to explain it but that comment just bugged me so much when I read it and it's still bugging me because whatever is going on between Sebastian and Jocelyn does have something to do with her. First of all it's her mother and I know she doesn't acknowledge Sebastian as her brother but the dude is going to keep coming back whether Clary likes it or not. I know blood doesn't necessarily make a person your family, it's the relationship you have with them and I realize that, but she should realize that he's going to be a part of her life. Whatever affects her mother should affect her in some way but that's my personal opinion. 
        All in all I thought the book was pretty good, it was eventful and it really had my attention. I give the book 4 stars out of 5. 
        So that was my first review and I promise you they'll get better, til next time! 

       

No comments:

Post a Comment