Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Crossed by Ally Condie

         Crossed by Ally Condie is the second book of the Matched series. Last week I did a book review on the first book of the series which can be found here: Matched book review . 
       Anyways, I thought Crossed was equally good as the first book, Matched, if not better! I enjoyed the plot, the writing of this book seemed to be ten times better than Matched, the characters development, this book was definitely worth my time. 
       After being separated, Cassia and Ky are on their own journeys, trying to get back to each other. From the very beginning of Crossed, I could tell, Cassia and Ky had grown as characters. In this book I saw them each in a different light. Cassia was tougher and she wasn't afraid to get what she wanted and she was able to get it successfully. I did not think Cassia was robotic like I initially believed in, Matched, there was more to her in this book because she was becoming a survivor, she was learning how to survive. 
       Ky was definitely not the same guy you meet in, Matched, he was also tougher and he seemed ten times more wiser then in the first book. Since you read the point of view from both Cassia and Ky in Crossed, you get to connect with each character better then in Matched because you only got Cassia's point of view. 
       The plot was nice, each character was on a mission and they didn't run into distractions and the book wasn't overflowing with romantic moments like some books tend to be. But when you did have romantic moments, they weren't cheesy, they were genuinely sweet. 
       I believed the writing in, Crossed, was simply beautiful! The descriptions, the dialogue, it was all amazing and beautifully written. I definitely love reading Ally Condie's writing and I can't wait to read more of it in the future! My favorite quote in the book has to be from Cassia on page 346 (in the hardcover version of the book):
       "Everyone has something of beauty about them. In the beginning for me, it was Ky's eyes I noticed, and I love them still. But loving lets you look, and look, and look again. You notice the back of a hand, the turn of a head, the way of a walk. When you first love, you look blind and you see it all as the glorious, beloved whole, or a beautiful sum of beautiful parts. But when you see the one you love as pieces, as whys- why he walks like this, why he closes his eyes like that- you can love those parts, too, and it's a love at once more complicated and more complete."
        I just love that quote, it's probably going to be one of my favorite quotes ever because it's such a beautiful thought and it's so true. What I love is how Ally Condie is able to evoke so much emotion in words rather than actions, it's what I would love to accomplish one day as a writer. 
        The new characters introduced were amazing, Eli and Indie were a wonderful addition to the book and I'm hoping to see them in the last book of the series, Reached, which comes out November 13, 2012 (I can't wait!). Eli did remind me of Bram, Cassia's younger brother, and I just loved how innocent this boy was and how strong he was emotionally even though he had been through so much, the same goes for Indie. Indie was someone I was wary of and I'm glad she was a part of the story because I loved her character since she was so similar to Ky and so smart and cautious. 
       Because of everything I loved about this book, I would have to give it 5 out of 5 stars. 

(525 words, not including quote from book)
       
          

No comments:

Post a Comment