Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Matched by Ally Condie

        Matched by Ally Condie is the first book in the Matched series. The book follows the protagonist, Cassia Reyes who has just attended the matching banquet and has been matched with her best friend, Xander Carrow. The society where Cassia lives is that of a dystopia, the Officials decide where you work, when you die, what you eat, and who you love. After there has been a "mistake", Cassia begins to see Ky as more than a friend and begins to have doubts about the world she lives in and the rules that are enforced and followed without hesitation.
       Beginning Matched was somewhat difficult, I liked the idea behind the book but it didn't really capture my attention in the first couple of chapters. As I continued to read about Cassia's world, the rules, and everything else about it I found myself interested in it a bit more. Some of the concepts about the book were confusing at times so I had to reread a couple of pages more than two times. I'm still not so sure about what Cassia really does as a job, I get the basic concept about it but it's still a bit fuzzy. At first I felt like Cassia didn't have much emotion, she felt sort of robotic to me but then I thought: Well she lives in a society where thinking and feeling isn't really required so I guess it made sense for the story. I enjoyed seeing the transformation with Cassia's character because she started off weak but throughout the story certain events made her think in a different way and her thoughts became deeper and it was amazing to read. As the story progressed, I found myself hooked about halfway through the book. Cassia begun to change and I could tell she was feeling emotions, her actions no longer seemed as robotic to me. 
        The relationship that developed between Ky and Cassia seemed sort of sudden but I grew to enjoy the relationship and it seemed pure which was good. The ending has me very excited for the next book, Crossed. So I plan to read that book this week so I can give it a review next Sunday, hopefully that happens though. 
        In the end, Matched was a lovely book to read it was beautifully written and it almost seemed like poetry at times which is ironic because some poetry is banned in Cassia's world. I give Matched by Ally Condie 4 stars out of 5 and I can't wait to see what and where Cassia's journey, in search of Ky, leads her! 

(432 words)
        

No comments:

Post a Comment