Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

The List by Siobhan Vivian

          The List by Siobhan Vivian is a book that brings different elements to it. To me, it seems to be a mix of Pretty Little Liars (except a lot more tame) and Gossip Girl, which is different. 
       What happens is each year before homecoming, a list comes out. This list picks two girls from each grade, this list picks one pretty and ugly girl from the freshmen, sophomore, junior, and senior class. The List basically chronicles how each girl, who made this years list, handles being called pretty or ugly by the entire school. 
       I liked that this book had all the characters deal with this list in different ways. They all faced self-esteem issues, ridicule, and judgement from all their peers which is what school can be sometimes be like. So I like how honest this book was. The characters were all great, I liked the layers they had to them and I liked how my thoughts about them changed throughout the story. I like the sense of mystery added to it when we find out who created this years list. When we find out who made the list I feel like it comes out of nowhere, like it wasn't foreshadowed or really discussed much, so I feel like it should have been. In the beginning I really didn't wonder who created the list because I feel like the author, Siobhan Vivian didn't make it a big deal. So when it's revealed who created it I was sort of blindsided since it comes out of nowhere. I also felt like the book could have been a little longer, it almost felt rushed.
       Other than the fact that it felt rushed and there was a lack of foreshadowing, I think The List was a nice book to read. I give it 3 out of 5 stars.  

(306 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment