Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

Why You Should Read Classics


         Have you read a classic before and actually liked it? Even though you don't like to admit it, and I don't know why, I'm sure you've encountered one that you didn't mind reading. I know that when we're in school we have to read books we'd rather not read, we'd rather much read a romance novel such as The Notebook or a sports story or a paranormal book.
But I think reading classics is a good thing! It exposes you to different genres that you probably wouldn't have gotten into if you weren't "forced" to read whatever classic. I've read a few good books because of school and gotten really interested into new authors. Freshmen year I didn't mind Charles Dickens' Great Expectations, I've always enjoyed that time period in history and reading Great Expectations helped me learn a few things and I enjoyed the story.
         Another positive about reading classics is you learn new words. I feel like the books written these days don't have as much new vocabulary as classics, probably because we're not really taught those words these days which is a pity because learning new words is always great!
         Classics also teach you lessons. I know that each book has a moral but I feel like the lessons of classics teach you a lot more. The impact classics have on you is a lot more than books I read that were written now. To me, the classics, have always stayed with me longer. There are few books that written in these days that have stayed with me.
        Sure, there will be times when you don't really like one book but that's true with every genre. Sometimes you really love one book but completely hate another book, in the same genre. You shouldn't let genres limit you though, don't be afraid to go out of your comfort zone and try something new every once in a while. 
        Some of the books I've enjoyed include, Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare, and Macbeth also by William Shakespeare. Currently I'm reading The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, who is probably best known for writing The Three Musketeers, and I like it, it's about 1000 pages or so.
         But if you're looking to try something new when it comes to reading I would definitely recommend giving classics a chance.

(410 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment