Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

       The last book in The Hunger Games Trilogy, Mockingjay was written by Suzanne Collins. Mockingjay was published about three years ago on August 24, 2010!
       Picking up where Catching Fire left off, Katniss Everdeen finds herself in District 13, a place she and the rest of Panem believed to have been destroyed. While there, Katniss is named "the mockingjay", a symbol against the Capitol and she stars in many rebel propaganda videos. As the mockingjay, Katniss leads the rebellion through videos, she isn't really allowed to fight. Throughout the book there are many losses but in the end, things improve in Panem.
        I thought this was a wonderful way to end The Hunger Games! At first I thought the book was a little too slow and had lost much of its suspense that the first and second books had but as the story progressed, I enjoyed it much more. I was constantly on the edge, more towards the middle and until the end. The ending definitely made up for the slow beginning! 
        The plot was well written and Suzanne Collins' writing was just as beautiful as it was in The Hunger Games and Catching Fire! I love her style of writing, I love how the sentences are short yet filled with so much information!
        I enjoyed how the characters were complicated throughout this series, you never knew if you could fully trust a character and what side they were actually on. Suzanne Collins definitely continued that in Mockingjay, it especially broke my heart when you asked this question about Peeta! You wanted to trust him but you also were cautious about what he was capable of,  I'm glad he was much better towards the end.
       At the very end, I think Suzanne Collins portrays the effects of war perfectly. It was very realistic, it was raw, it reminded me a lot about the wars I've learned about in school.
       All in all, this book was definitely a satisfying, tragic conclusion to The Hunger Games Trilogy. I give Mockingjay 5 out of 5 stars! 

(343 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment