Pages

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

          Hush, Hush is the first book in the Hush, Hush Saga written by Becca Fitzpatrick. Nora Grey is just your average girl whose father has recently been murdered and the murder is nowhere to be found. With that in mind it only makes sense that she should be a bit wary of her new, sketchy, biology partner, right? That's the logical thing that you think would happen or should happen. Is she though? It didn't really seem like it. Even though Patch is dangerous, unreliable, and totally sketchy, for some reason Nora takes it as an invitation that fine to be around. Which is on of the things that really bugged me about her!
      One of my issues with this book was Nora, the protagonist. There were moments when she was annoying because a lot of the time she put herself in situations that could have been avoided if she hadn't done something stupid and reckless. So for some parts of the book, she was my issue. I didn't hate her, she was okay but I felt like her character development could have been worked on. 
       Characters that I enjoyed were Patch (the sketchy, biology partner) and Vee, Nora's best friend. I liked Vee because I felt she had more of a personality which was entertaining to read about, than the main character herself (hopefully that changes in the second book, Crescendo). Vee was witty  which made her fun to read about compared to Nora who seemed somewhat bland. I enjoyed reading about Patch because even though the guy isn't exactly trustworthy, he is mysterious which seemed to be most of the book. Nora trying to figure out Patch and what he's hiding. We don't even know his real name because obviously Patch isn't his real name, I thought that at first it was a ridiculous nickname but eventually it grew on me. 
      The plot seemed seemed typical and there wasn't really anything that surprised me. I found it very predictable a lot of the time. Though the story wasn't original, I enjoyed the writing. The descriptions were different and I loved the imagery Becca Fitzpatrick was able to convey in my head. I'm not going to give up on the series because I think it has potential to be a good series, I can't wait to get started on Crescendo! I give Hush, Hush 3 out of 5 stars. 

(400 words)
      
     

No comments:

Post a Comment