Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi

        Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi is book 1.5 in the Shatter Me series. The reason it's 1.5 is because it takes place between book 1 (Shatter Me) and book 2 (Unravel Me due to come out on February 5, 2013). You don't really need to read this book in order to read the second book but I decided I wanted to because it's from the antagonist's point of view. This book is also, as far as I know, only available as a digital book, so I was able to buy it on my phone.
      Destroy Me follows Warner, the son of the leader of a dystopian society: The Reestablishment. The Reestablishment is divided into sectors and Warner is the leader of Sector 45. After being shot in the arm by Juliette in the first book, Shatter Me, Destroy Me follows Warner in his quest to look for Juliette, Adam, and Kenji. 
       Though it's not necessary to read this book before the second book, I decided I would because I thought it'd be interesting to read from Warner's point of view. What I liked about it is I was able to understand him a little bit more but it also left me with the same questions: Why is Warner the way he is? And what is with his obsession with Juliette? These questions were somewhat answered in the book but I didn't think it was enough and I really wish the author, Tahereh Mafi would have expanded more in her answers. 
         I liked that I was able to see a different side of Warner. In Shatter Me he seemed cruel and relentless but in this book I find him a lot more vulnerable and I almost feel bad for the guy. 
         What I didn't like about the book was the plot, well, actually, more like the lack of a plot. I don't know if it's because this book is in between two books but shouldn't a book still have a plot even though it's shorter than your average book? Not much really happened except that I got to see what he was up to after the events in Shatter Me. One of the most interesting things I would say happened was meeting his father and how he interacted with him, that at least helped me understand, a little, why Warner appears to be cruel. 
       Destroy Me was easy to read in a short time period, I liked seeing things from Warner's point of view, but I didn't like the plot. I give Destroy Me 3 out of 5 stars.  

(428 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment