Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

       Catching Fire is the second book in The Hunger Games series written by Suzanne Collins. After the events of The Hunger Games, Katniss and Peeta find themselves trying to suppress a rebellion across the districts, supposedly igniting because of them. In order to please President Snow, Katniss and Peeta must prove that they weren't rebelling in The Hunger Games, but that they were acting out of love for one another. 
       I finally have read Catching Fire, it took like a whole year, since I read The Hunger Games, but I've finally done it and I'm so glad I did! 
       In the beginning I was upset that it didn't start off right after that train scene from the first book, instead it took place a while after that happened which I feel didn't have the same affect. I would have rather read it in the present tense but instead I read about it in the past tense, so that was a bit upsetting. I liked that we get to see Peeta and Katniss after they have won the games, it felt relieving to have our heroes safe, even if it only lasts for a few chapters. I also loved the ending! An amazing cliffhanger which makes me really want to read the third book: Mockingjay, like very soon! I adored the new characters added in the book such as Finnick Odair and Johanna Mason, each of them were interesting to read about and I really enjoyed their personalities. 
         Things that I didn't like about this book is how the first 100 or so pages felt sort of slow, to me it didn't seem as fast-paced as The Hunger Games and  it seemed to take forever for the plot to really go into affect but I did like how the rest of the book did pick up its speed, especially towards the end! Something I feel should have been added to was the Victory Tour, I felt like Suzanne could have added more detail to each district, I would have liked to know more about what they're like by descriptions not by being told. 
       All in all Catching Fire was a really good book that had me absorbed for a long time, it was filled with action, emotion and adventure and the cliffhanger has me wanting more! I give it 4 out of 5 stars. I can't wait to see the movie, I think it'll be interesting to see how they set up the arena and the last part of the book definitely needs to go in there, it'll probably be so hard to watch that scene but it needs to stay!

(440 words)

1 comment:

  1. I just started reading Catching Fire this past week. I'm not sure what took me so long to read this series, but I wanted to read the book before the movie came out, so here I am. I would agree that the plot has been a little bit slow, but I just finished Part 1 and it seems to be picking up now. From what you said, it seems like the end of the book is pretty exciting, so I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete