Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

Gun Control

        Tucson, Arizona. Aurora, Colorado. Portland, Oregon. Newtown, Connecticut. All four places have something in common, something horrible and unimaginable to even think about. They are four out of many places in the world that have been touched by the violence of a hand wrapped around a gun. Why? What makes a person act out in such violence with people like Ryan Lanza and James Holmes? No one knows and no one can probably ever really understand what goes on in those people's minds. All I know and other people know is that something needs to be done. Something needs to be done about gun violence. 
        Why hasn't gun control been a big issue before like it should be? I find myself asking this question more often nowadays, more than a person should. It's sad to see the world we live in has grown so violent and almost tolerant of gun violence. For example, the Aurora Theater Massacre, gun violence became an issue at the time but soon it faded away and I didn't hear much about it until now, now that it's becoming too late. To lose a life at the hands of gun violence is just horrible because we know with the right laws we can prevent tragedies like the one Sandy Hook Elementary School. But I realize that things are easier said than done. I mean, how can we mess with the Second Amendment, the right to bear arms? I'm all for our rights but I doubt our Founding Fathers ever believed that innocent children would be harmed because of it. 
      But how can we go about gun control? Honestly, I don't know and I don't think our politicians have any other ideas either. But we probably all agree that something needs to be done. Maybe when it comes to purchasing a gun, it should become stricter. People who purchase a gun should be checked on when it comes to the history of their mental health issues. Yeah, maybe it's embarrassing and it probably violates our rights but isn't it worth it? Isn't it worth it knowing that a child, a father, a mother, a brother, a sister, a cousin, a grandfather or grandmother is safe? I feel like a life is more than worth a few moments of discomfort or embarrassment, I definitely wouldn't be against a law like this as long as I know that people are safer. 
      My sympathies go out to the families who lost a loved one in the Newtown Shootings and my sympathies go out to the families who have lost someone they care about in any other acts of gun violence, hopefully something can be done about this to prevent tragedies like this in the future.

(455 words) 

No comments:

Post a Comment