Pages

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Love and Leftovers by Sarah Tregay

       Love and Leftovers is a novel written in verse by Sarah Tregay. Marcie is the protagonist who is taken away from her home, in Idaho, with her mom to a family summerhouse in New Hampshire after her mom has caught her dad cheating. So she's forced to leave her friends, a group of misfits who name themselves "leftovers" and her emo-rocker boyfriend, Linus. Marcie and Linus stay together trying a long-distance relationship out. But when she meets a cute boy who's like a cross between David Beckham and Prince Harry named J.D, in New Hampshire, Marcie begins to question her feelings for Linus and his feelings for her and that's when she makes a mistake. Because of this mistake she realizes who she's really meant to be with.
       I've only read about two other books written in verse before, so I'm still sort of warming up to this style of writing. So far though, I've really enjoyed it because to me it feels like the book is even more personal because it's almost like a journal or diary that you're reading. I know that, as a writer myself I write my diary entries as poems sometimes because sometimes fewer words can just as easily get the same message across as a whole paper. So I was really able to connect with the main character, Marcie. 
      Usually, I know or have a pretty clear idea on how the book will end but I have to say Love and Leftovers didn't end the way I expected it to! That's okay though because the way Sarah Tregay ended was much better than I though it was going to end. 
      This book didn't just center around Marcie's romantic life and issues, it also had a lot to do with Marcie and with the people she shares a relationship with in her life. Marcie questioned her relationships with the guys in her life, her parents, and even her friends and in the end she finds what she really needs even though it took her a while and a few mistakes which is what being human is all about. I would definitely recommend checking out this book, it talks a lot about relationships and it's so hard to put down. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

(382 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment